If you're craving a good, hearty stew, you can't go wrong with this one! White beans, celery, and savory mushrooms are simmered in a tomato-based broth. This stew tastes even better the next day, once the flavors have had more time to marry.
Celery, Mushroom, and White Bean Stew [Vegan, Grain-Free]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Celery, Mushroom, and White Bean Stew [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 2 cups dried white beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5.2 ounces spring onions, chopped into small pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 8.8 ounces mushroom, stem removed and chopped into small pieces
- 1.7 pounds fresh celery, stalk cut into thin half-moons and leaves roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How To Make Celery, Mushroom, and White Bean Stew [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- For the beans, rinse the dried beans in water and put them in a large bowl. Cover with at least 4 times their volume of water and leave to soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse the beans and put them into a pot with a heavy lid. Add just enough cold water to cover them. Bring the beans to a boil, then cover and simmer them gently for 30-40 minutes or until the beans are tender but not mushy. The cooking time will depend on the size and age of the beans.
- Smaller and newer beans will require a shorter cooking time, so check on them after 20 minutes. once cooked drain and set aside.
- On a medium-low heat, in a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until slightly soft. Add spring onions and garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in turmeric and cumin powder and cook for another 2 minutes or until the spices are fragrant.
- Next, add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Now increase the heat to medium-high and add the chopped celery stalk. Cook for 10 minutes while stirring few times.
- Now add the cooked white beans and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the celery leaves to the mixture and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Now it’s time to add the chopped tomatoes, tomatoes paste and dried mint. Season well with salt and pepper to taste. Cook with lid half covered for about 45 to 50 minutes on low heat until the beans are well cooked and the stew has thickened.
- At the last 5 minutes of the cooking, add the lemon juice and adjust the seasoning to your taste. Transfer to the serving bowl and serve with steamed rice.
Stores well in the refrigerator for up to 3 day. Can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 weeks.
- Beans - All
- Beans - White
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Calories: 330 | Carbs: 61g | Fat: 11g | Protein: 21g | Sugar: 8g | Sodium: 397mgNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile