The carrot cake is a favorite of many people. It consists of a delicious carrot cake, spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, etc.) and sometimes nuts coated with a frosting or cream cheese coating.
Carrot Sponge Cake With Cashew Cream [Vegan]
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 cup of whole sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 shredded medium carrots
- a handful of crushed nuts
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup of soaked cashews
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of plant-based milk
- a jet of agave syrup
- In a bowl, mix the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom.
- In another bowl, mix the liquid ingredients: orange juice, oil, vinegar and plant-based milk. Pour the liquid ingredients in the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Peel the carrots and grate them. Add the carrot to the bowl with the dough and mix with an electric mixer so that the carrot is even more crushed and the cake rises better when baking. Add the chopped nuts.
- Grease a cake mold and preheat the oven to 350°F. Pour the dough into the mold and bake it for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting for the sponge cake. Mix the cashews (soaked and drained previously), plant-based milk and agave syrup to taste until it is a smooth mixture without lumps. Add the coconut oil and grind for several more minutes. Leave the frosting to cool in the fridge.
- Once the cake is made and cooled, unmold it and cut into two thinner sponge plates.
- Cover the bottom plate with the cashew filling and cover with the top cake. Cover the cake with the rest of the frosting and decorate with nuts, chocolate chips, grated coconut, etc.