In this recipe, buckwheat groats are soaked overnight prior to cooking in order to give them a soft and oatmeal-like texture. This breakfast dish is creamy, thick, and it tastes just like carrot cake, with no refined sugar needed. The addition of protein from the buckwheat and healthy fats from the hemp hearts are just an added bonus.
Carrot Poppyseed Buckwheat Porridge [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Begin by placing buckwheat groats and water in a medium saucepan and allowing the groats soak for 30-60 minutes, or overnight.
- After soaking, add all of the remaining ingredients except for the carrots and poppy seeds, and stir together.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until nearly cooked, and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add in carrots and poppy seeds and finish cooking.
- Serve garnished with raisins, nuts or anything else you choose.
The soaking step can be omitted if you are short on time — they will just take a bit longer to cook. If you like your hot cereal a little chewier, reduce the cooking time, and add less liquid. This recipe yields quite a soft version.