As if we didn't love brownies enough already! Brownies get a seriously delicious upgrade in this dessert recipe. Gooey caramel is layered on top of a fudgy brownie layer and then the whole bar is topped with dark chocolate.
Caramel Brownie Bars [Vegan]
For the Brownie Layer:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 5.3 ounces vegan dark chocolate (70 percent or higher)
- 2/5 cup and 2 teaspoons vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/5 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 4/5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/5 cup and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
For The Caramel and Chocolate Layer:
- 1 2/5 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/5 cup and 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- Scant 1/3 cup vegan cream, such as soy cream or coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3.5 ounces of melted, vegan dark chocolate
To Make the Brownie Layer:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the ground flax and 4 tablespoons of water. Leave to thicken.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and melt over a double boiler along with the butter. When all melted, take the bowl off the heat and add the cane sugar, flax egg, vanilla, 1/5 cup water, and sea salt. Stir well.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Stir just until no lumps of flour are present.
- Pour the batter into a 8x8-inch parchment lined cake pan. Bake on the middle rack for 25–30 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely, preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
To Make the Caramel Layer:
- Add cane sugar, water and maple syrup to a saucepan on a medium heat. Don’t stir, just let the sugar dissolve slowly. If the sugar and syrup don’t mix automatically, swirl the pan gently. Let the sugar and syrup slowly come to an amber color.
- Locate a whisk and have it ready in your hand. Now take the saucepan off the heat, pour in the cream and start whisking. It will bubble angrily. Whisk until it has calmed down, place it back on the heat, and whisk in the butter. Let the caramel sauce bubble a bit more and then take it off the heat and leave to cool to room temperature, before pouring it over the chilled brownie.
To Make the Chocolate Layer and Serve:
- Let the brownie and caramel cool down before pouring over the melted, dark chocolate. Let the chocolate set in refrigerator where these caramel brownie bars will also be stored. They can be enjoyed cold or after they have been out of the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes.