These sandwiches are incredible! You have a heaping pile roasted jackfruit in a homemade Cajun spice rub, topped with a creamy vegan ranch dressing, and finished with some lettuce, tomatoes, and onions.
Cajun-Spiced Jackfruit Sandwiches [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Jackfruit:
- 2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon onion granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dry
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme, dry
- 1 1/2 teaspoon molasses, rice syrup, or maple syrup
For the Ranch Dressing:
- 2/3 cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt or 2/3 cup silken tofu, blended to a purée with 3 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or rice syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons water
For the Sandwiches:
- Prepare the vegan ranch or the vegan barbecue sauce or your sandwiches. Refrigerate it until you're ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Drain the jackfruit, and rinse it well under cold running water.
- Slice each piece thinly, then place all the shredded jackfruit in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all the herbs and spices, as well as the molasses or syrup. Using your hands, massage the spice mix into the jackfruit for about a minute.
- Transfer the prepared jackfruit to the baking tray and spread it out in an even layer.
- Place it in the oven and bake it for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are browning and starting to get crispy.
- Remove the jackfruit from the oven, and assemble the sandwiches.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients except for the water in a bowl, and stir until well combined. Add water as needed to reach the desired consistency. Season with black pepper to taste, then refrigerate until ready to use.
- First, add a layer of lettuce, then top with a generous heaping of the Cajun jackfruit and some sliced onion. Drizzle each sandwich with the ranch dressing or barbecue sauce, and serve it immediately.