This butterscotch pudding is a simple, easy, and quick dessert that will look great at the end of a meal. The creamy butterscotch pudding is made from soy milk and brown sugar and then topped with some homemade candied walnuts.
Butterscotch Pudding With Candied Walnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Butterscotch Pudding With Candied Walnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pudding:
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar (packed), divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- A splash of lemon juice
- 1 cup plus 14 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Candied Walnuts:
- 4 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- A splash of water
How to Prepare Butterscotch Pudding With Candied Walnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Pudding:
- Place 4 tablespoons of brown sugar with the water and a splash of lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil without stirring.
- Turn down the heat and let the sugar turn into a dark colored caramel (about 3 minutes). You can move the pan back and forth every now and then.
- Take the pan from the heat and let the caramel cool down for 5 minutes.
- Add just under a half of the soy milk, put the pan back on low heat, and let the caramel dissolve in the milk.
- In a medium bowl, mix the remaining milk with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of corn starch using a whisk.
- Add the mixture to the caramel milk and bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat, constantly whisking it. The milk will start to thicken up and turn into a creamy consistency.
- Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the vegan butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour the pudding into a bowl and cover it to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate it after the pudding cools down to room temperature.
For the Candied Walnuts:
- Place the brown sugar and walnuts into a small saucepan.
- Cook them at medium heat until the brown sugar has turned into a caramel. Use a wooden spoon to move the mixture around in the saucepan, making sure that all of the walnuts get coated.
- Remove them from the heat and quickly spread the walnuts out on the lined baking sheet to prevent them from drying in a clump.
- Let them cool before using for decorations.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 860 | Total Carbs: 114 g | Total Fat: 38 g | Total Protein: 25 g | Total Sodium: 367 g | Total Sugar: 87 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.