Butternut squash is a magic autumnal veggie that provides a wonderful color and mild flavor that pairs perfectly wth sage. In this recipe, the squash is transformed into rich sauce made extra creamy by the addition of cashews. Pour it over your noodle or pasta of choice and get ready for an indulgent meal that will make you want to snuggle up in a blanket.
Butternut Squash Alfredo [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 14 ounces dry gluten-free spaghetti
- 1/3 cup vegan parmesan, plus more for serving
- In a large skillet add the butter and red onion. Sauté until slightly soft, about 1-2 minutes.
- Next add in the garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, stir and add the butternut squash, vegetable stock, sage, and thyme. Stir and cover. Cook until the butternut squash is fork tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, and almond milk to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- When the squash is tender, add the squash to a food processor along with salt to taste. Purée until smooth.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add gluten-free pasta, cook according to directions (6-8 minutes). Do not overcook.
- Drain pasta and add a generous portion of the butternut squash sauce to the pasta. Fold in chopped dinosaur kale and gently toss together. Top with sage and pecans.