Whether or not you care about who wins the game, we can all agree that watching sports should always be accompanied by delicious snacks, like these tofu "wings." They're dredged in a flour batter, fried, and then tossed in a delicious spicy sauce that'll make your lips tingle, so be sure to serve them with the dairy-free ranch sauce and some celery sticks. You also don't have to feel restricted to just tofu — try it with tempeh or seitan!
Buffalo Tofu Wings [Vegan]
For the Wings:
- 1 14-ounce block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed or seitan or tempeh
For the Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, plus more if you like lots of pepper)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the Buffalo Sauce:
- 1 stick vegan butter, melted
- 2-4 tablespoons hot sauce, plus more depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Cool Ranch Dipping Sauce:
- To make the wings, Cut your tofu into 16 "chicken finger" sized pieces.
- Set up a breading station. In one shallow dish, mix together flour, pepper, paprika, oregano, and basil.
- In a separate dish, place the coconut milk.
- Double dredge one "wing" by first dipping it into the coconut milk, then into the flour mixture, then back into the coconut milk, then back into the batter.
- Place in the hot oil and fry until golden, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat with remaining wings.
- To make the Buffalo sauce, melt butter and stir in hot sauce, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Place fried wings in a bowl and pour Buffalo sauce all over wings.
- Gently toss to coat.
- To make the cool ranch dressing, mix all ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Store dressing in an airtight container for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.