This salad contains all the goodness of Buffalo wings – the tangy spiciness of the hot sauce, the coolness of a creamy dip – plus the crunchy, fresh cabbage, nutty tempeh, and hearty quinoa! It's a veritable explosion of flavor!
Buffalo Tempeh Quinoa Salad [Vegan]
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup hot sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup quinoa)
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups cabbage, julienned
- 1 med carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup scallions, diced
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan blue cheese dressing (optional)
- Melt butter and mix with hot sauce, garlic and Worcestershire. Marinade the tempeh in buffalo sauce for at least two hours.
- Meanwhile, in a pot, combine water and quinoa. Bring to boil. Once it is boiling, lower heat all the way and cover. Once water is soaked up, the quinoa is done. It should be nice and fluffy. Cool.
- Slice your cabbage, carrots, scallions, vegan mayo, salt, and pepper and mix in a bowl. Once the quinoa is cooled, add that in too.
- Now, it's finally time to cook the tempeh! Heat up a little oil in a pan. Fry each side of tempeh for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until it is lightly browned on both sides. Once done, throw them back in the marinade for a last coat. Mix in with the cabbage quinoa salad. Add the vegan blue cheese, if you're going to, and serve!