These simple buckwheat flatbreads are perfect for a light lunch. The flatbread is topped with smoky, roasted mushroom "bacon" that has the perfect flavor. They're unctuous and savory. A little salty and a little smoky. And just the faintest hint of sweet.
Hearty Flatbread With Smoky Shiitake Bacon [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Shiitake Bacon:
- 8 ounces Shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon unsulphured molasses (or a 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup)
- A couple of pinches of salt (to your tastes)
- A couple of pinches of freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
For the Buckwheat Flatbread:
- Oil for greasing the skillet
- 3 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flax meal
- A pinch of salt
- A splash of apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- Vegan pesto
- Shiitake bacon
- Roasted sweet potato
To Make the Shiitake Bacon:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the stems of the mushrooms and either discard them or save them for making vegetable stock. They are really woody and not particularly good. Slice the mushrooms into roughly 1/4-inch thick slices. They will shrink significantly so you don’t have to worry about cutting them super thin.
- Mix together the oil, molasses, salt, pepper, and paprika in a bowl. Rub the dried oregano between your fingers or in your palm to help it release its oils, then add it to the oil and spice mixture. Mix well.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the bowl with the oil and spice mixture and toss well until the mushrooms look like they are evenly coated.
- Spread the mushrooms out on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer then pop it in the preheated oven. Roast the mushrooms at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until they are just crisping up. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before eating. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To Make the Buckwheat Flatbread:
- Set a skillet over medium heat. Grease it with a light coat of the oil of your choice.
- While your skillet it heating up, mix together the flours, flax meal, and salt in a small bowl, then mix in the vinegar and the milk.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet, using a spatula to gently coax it into a round that is about 6 to 7 inches wide.
- Cook until the top starts to dry out (2-3 minutes), then carefully flip it and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Cool before eating. Makes one flatbread.