I used a carrot sauce instead of tomato because a pizza with tomato sauce is old news! The carrots were mixed with some miso, garlic and lemon to mimic the acidity and sweetness of the tomatoes. Then the whole shebang was topped with tender broccoli rabe, a veggie actually more closely related to mustard greens or turnips rather than broccoli. Part of the “brassicas” family (kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts), broccoli rabe contains a compound called “glucoinolates”, which has been shown to be effective against lung, colon, and stomach cancer. Who said pizza can't be healthy and tasty? I sure didn't!
Broccoli Rabe Potato Pizza With Carrot Miso Sauce and Hazelnuts [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Broccoli Rabe Potato Pizza With Carrot Miso Sauce and Hazelnuts [Vegan]
For the Pizza toppings:
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- juice of one lemon, divided
- 2-3 teaspoons water
- salt and pepper
- 4-5 small red potatoes
- a small bunch of broccoli rabe
- ⅓ cup of hazelnuts, roughly chopped
For the Dough:
- 1.5 cups of spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¾ cups lukewarm water
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- half of a teaspoon of dried oregano
How to Prepare Broccoli Rabe Potato Pizza With Carrot Miso Sauce and Hazelnuts [Vegan]
- To make the dough, dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water. Add to a bowl with flour. Add the water slowly, until dough is moist but not wet. Knead the dough for a few seconds. Cover the ball of dough with flour and cover with a towel, and set aside for a couple of hours.
- After setting the dough aside, marinate the broccoli rabe. Roughly chop or tear the broccoli rabe and add to small plastic ziploc bag, then squeeze half of lemon inside. Add salt and make sure there is almost no air in the bag once sealed. Place in fridge until the dough is ready.
- Peel and chop the carrots. Using a steamer basket, steam the carrots for about 15 min. They should be soft but not mushy.
- Let carrots cool. Add to food processor along with the garlic, coconut oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and miso. Process until a sauce forms (add water as needed to thin out)
- Slice the potatoes thinly.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Roll out the dough onto a 12 inch pizza pan. Spread the carrot sauce then add potatoes and broccoli rabe. Bake in oven for approximately 15 minutes. Add hazelnuts and bake for another 5 minutes or until dough is cooked through.
The recipe for the dough is adapted from the My New Roots cookbook.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.