Salted, fluffy breadsticks ready to be dipped in flavorsome vegan potato cheese sauce. Treat yourself to this plant-based lunchbox filler!
Bread Dunkers With Cheese Sauce [Vegan]
For the Breadsticks:
- 1 and 2/3 cups strong white bread flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon dried active yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar - or just regular cane sugar
- Olive oil for brushing
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 and 1/2 cups potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 5 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspon salt
- Handful of chopped chives for garnish, optional
- 3/4 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Starting with the breadsticks, combine the lukewarm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl, whisk together and set aside for about 20 minutes until frothy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt and create a well in the middle.
- Pour the yeasted water in the well and mix together with a wooden spoon. Once the mixture has formed a dough, knead with well floured hands on a floured surface until smooth and even. Add more flour and knead again if too sticky.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and keep in a warm space for 40 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, bring a pan of water to a boil and add the carrots and the potato. Boil for 10 minutes then drain the water.
- Transfer to a blender along with the rest of the cheese ingredients and blend on high until smooth. Transfer to a bowl or airtight box and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Once the dough has almost doubled in size pre heat your oven to and line a baking sheet. Punch the dough down in the bowl and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Tear off balls from the dough and roll into long sausages (1/2-inch thick) and place on the baking sheet. Brush each stick with a little olive oil.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 18-22 minutes or until starting to turn golden.
- Keep the breadsticks in a airtight box once cool for up to 4 days, but best eaten relatively fresh!