This delicious dish is just tender enough, with slight bitterness. The onions add their sugars to give it a sweetness and textural contrast. Most importantly, toasted almond topping makes everything green taste better.
Braised Kale and Onion Almondine [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Braised Kale and Onion Almondine [Vegan]
- 1 bunch of Kale
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 Cup onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup vegetable stock + water or stock as needed
- 2-3 Tablespoons white wine
- Salt & Pepper
- Toasted almond slices
How to Prepare Braised Kale and Onion Almondine [Vegan]
- Rinse the kale and remove the rib of each leaf by folding in half and running a chef's knife down the inside of the rib. Chop the ribs finely, and set aside. Chop the leaves into manageable pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a shallow pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they start to get tender, about 8 minutes. Add the kale ribs and garlic, cooking 4 more minutes.
- Add kale leaves a handful at a time, letting them wilt before adding more. When all leaves have been added, add the stock. Cook until stock evaporates, about 5 minutes, and season with salt and pepper. Add the wine. You can add a dab of vegan margarine or butter at this point to give more flavor.
- When the wine cooks off in a few minutes, add a bit of water or stock, enough to stay a bit liquid in the pan - a couple tablespoons. Cover and lower heat to a simmer for 10-15 minutes until kale is tender. Season as needed and serve topped with almonds.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.