This delicious dish is just tender enough, with slight bitterness. The onions add their sugars to give it a sweetness and textural contrast. Most importantly, toasted almond topping makes everything green taste better.
Braised Kale and Onion Almondine [Vegan]
- 1 bunch of Kale
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 Cup onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup vegetable stock + water or stock as needed
- 2-3 Tablespoons white wine
- Salt & Pepper
- Toasted almond slices
- Rinse the kale and remove the rib of each leaf by folding in half and running a chef's knife down the inside of the rib. Chop the ribs finely, and set aside. Chop the leaves into manageable pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a shallow pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they start to get tender, about 8 minutes. Add the kale ribs and garlic, cooking 4 more minutes.
- Add kale leaves a handful at a time, letting them wilt before adding more. When all leaves have been added, add the stock. Cook until stock evaporates, about 5 minutes, and season with salt and pepper. Add the wine. You can add a dab of vegan margarine or butter at this point to give more flavor.
- When the wine cooks off in a few minutes, add a bit of water or stock, enough to stay a bit liquid in the pan - a couple tablespoons. Cover and lower heat to a simmer for 10-15 minutes until kale is tender. Season as needed and serve topped with almonds.