These baby blueberry and basil pies make a great breakfast, brunch, and are also a delicious afternoon pick-me-up. They're sweet, but not too sweet thanks to fresh basil and they're perfectly portioned so you always have just the right amount of pie. These mini pies are so easy to make, they'll become your new go-to for anytime you need to bring something along to parties and potlucks.
Blueberry and Basil Mini Pies [Vegan]
- 1 vegan pie crust
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, chopped, plus 3 more big leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare your pie crust.
- While the pie crust sets, make the pie filling. Combine the blueberries with the coconut sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and chopped basil. Set aside.
- On medium-low heat, lightly sauté the basil leaves in the olive oil for a few minutes, until the basil is fragrant. Add the basil infused olive oil into the blueberry mixture. Whether you’d like to include the leaves is entirely up to you.
- Roll out the pie crust and line your small pie tins with the crust, pressing gently against the tins. Fill the crust with the filling and make a lattice top by interweaving thin strips of the crust. Brush the tops with maple syrup.
- Bake the pies for 25 minutes, until the top is a lovely golden brown.