"What in the world is this thing? It's a pretty picture, but is it even edible?" Before you close your browser and merrily skip away, give this a chance. This is a raw vegan black sesame chia pudding, a take on a popular Japanese dessert, black sesame pudding. Black sesame seeds are full of vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and plenty of antioxidants! This pudding is sweet, nutritious, and gorgeous to look at!
Raw Black Sesame Chia Pudding [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chia Pudding:
- 1/3 cups cashews
- 2 dates
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cups black sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon non-alcohol vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
For the Vanilla Cashew Cream Topping (optional)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons non-alcohol vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
To Make the Chia Pudding:
- Soak the black sesame seeds for 8 hours and cashews for 24 hours. Rinse well and drain.
- Add the cashews, dates, and water into the blender, and blend until smooth.
- Add in the black sesame seeds, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Throw in the chia seeds and run it on the lowest speed until the mixture starts to gel. Pour it into the glass or bowl of your choice, and let it set in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Sprinkle some black sesame seeds on top and serve.
To Make the Vanilla Cashew Cream (Optional):
- After you put the chia pudding in the refrigerator to set, start soaking the cashews. Soak for 24 hours. Once the chia pudding is set, rinse the cashews well and drain.
- Add all the ingredients for the Vanilla cashew cream into the blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour some over the black sesame chia pudding and garnish with black sesame seeds.
If you don't have a high speed blender like Vitamix or Blendtec, the black sesame milk might not get as smooth and remain slightly grainy. Just do your best, without overheating your blender. You can skip the vanilla cashew cream if you are pressed for time. Keeps in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Chia Seeds