The texture of farro makes it the perfect base for a veggie burger. Paired with black beans, onions, BBQ sauce, and seasoning, this burger is simple, very satisfying, super filling. To take this burger up a notch, serve it with a creamy, spicy slaw on top or on the side.
Black Bean Farro Burger [Vegan]
For the Patties:
- 2/3 cup uncooked farro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan steak seasoning of your choice
- 1 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegan BBQ sauce of your choice
For the Spicy Slaw:
- 1 14-ounce bag of pre-sliced green and red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Salt and pepper, as needed
For the Slaw Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
To Make the Slaw:
- Place all of the spicy slaw in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl combine the dressing ingredients.
- pour over the slaw and toss to combine.
- Taste and season with a bit of salt and pepper as needed.
To Make the Patties:
- Prepare farro according to packaged directions, when done, place in a large bowl, cover, and set aside.
- While farro is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, when oil is simmering add onions and sauté until onions are softened and translucent. Add onions to the bowl with the farro.
- Open can of black beans, drain, rinse, and with clean hands mash them over the bowl with the farro, some of the beans will be unmashed and that's okay. You do not want to over mash.
- Add in the liquid smoke, sugar, garlic powder, paprika, steak seasoning, bread crumbs, and BBQ sauce.
- Using your fingers, gently mix all of the ingredients together until it can be molded into a burger without falling apart. If mixture is too dry add in a bit more sauce, if too wet add in more bread crumbs.
- Mold the mixture into desired size burger. More for a larger burger, less for sliders.
- If preparing burgers in a skillet, add small amount of oil to heated skillet to lightly coat the bottom.
- Add burgers to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- If using a grill pan, brush pan with oil and grill the burgers until browned on each side, about 3-4 minutes.
- When burgers have cooled slightly, serve on buns with slaw and desired toppings.