If you're looking for an easy soup to make, this is the one for you! And made with all ingredients you may already have in your pantry. If not, get them at your next grocery visit and save then for the end of the week because canned beans, canned tomatoes, and bagged lentils have a long shelf life.
Black Bean and Red Lentil Soup [Vegan]
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced finely
- 1, 14.5 ounce can, no-salt added petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red lentils (green or brown would work too)
- 1 15 ounce can, organic or low-sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt, to taste, only if needed
- Heat a large pot to medium-high heat. Once heated, add the diced onion. Saute the onion until it becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes. If the onions begin to stick, add 1 tablespoon of water or vegetable broth at a time, as needed. Once the onions are sauteed, add the carrots. Cook for approximately 3 minutes, allowing them to begin to soften and adding water or vegetable broth, as needed. Then, add the garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Next, add the tomatoes, lentils, black beans, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, smoked paprika, and vegetable broth. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the lentils and carrots are tender, about 25 minutes.