Make your next Taco Tuesday red, green and delicious all over with these quick and easy-to-make, beet-based tacos. Why beets? When roasted, they develop a slightly sweet flavor, which we balance out with a hit of sherry vinegar. Their chewy texture paired with the avocado salsa provides a contrast that’s perfect for tucking into a warmed tortilla.
Beet Tacos [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash, dry, peel, then slice the beets into thin wedges, about 1/2-inch thick. Place onto a baking sheet and drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes, or until tender. Let slightly cool, then drizzle with one tablespoon of the sherry vinegar.
- Add the chopped portion of the red onion and half of the avocado to a food processor. Add the garlic, plant-based mayo, cilantro, the remaining tablespoon of sherry vinegar and desired amount of jalapeño.
- Pulse until the desired consistency is achieved. Season with a pinch or two of salt.
- Preheat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the kale and sautée until just wilted, about two minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in the oven for a few minutes. Slice the remaining avocado half.
- Lay the warmed tortillas on plates and top with a dollop of the avocado salsa, spreading to coat. Layer on the roasted beet, sautéed kale, sliced avocado and sliced red onion. Top with any remaining avocado salsa.