Salmorejo is a cold pureed soup originating from Cordoba, Andalusia in Spain. This modern unique take on this dish replaces tomato with beets and strawberries.
Beet Salmorejo: Spanish Pureed Soup [Vegan]
- 2 3/4 cups boiled beets
- 3 1/4 cups tomatoes
- 8 medium strawberries
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup, plus one teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 generous tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 sprig of fresh basil
- Wash and drain the vegetables.
- Chop the boiled beets, tomatoes, and the garlic. Put them in a mixer together with the breadcrumbs and the vinegar. Pulse until a fine and creamy texture is achieved.
- Add in the olive oil and salt. Pulse for around 10 seconds. Strain the mix and keep it in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving it in a bowl.
- Decorate the salmorejo with halved strawberries and fresh basil leaves. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil before serving.
- Beet Recipes