The sky’s the limit with vegan pizza. You can throw any ingredient on top of that soft, stretchy, warm, yummy pizza dough, and that's part of the magic. This yummy pizza has a topping of roasted beet slices for sweetness, and radicchio dressed in olive oil, salt, and pepper, for a little bit of bite. You can eat it as is, or sprinkle on a little bit of nutritional yeast for some cheesiness.
Beet and Radicchio Pizza [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 envelope or 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Toppings:
- 4 large red beets, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch coins
- 1 large head radicchio, stemmed and cut into ribbons
- Olive oil, to taste
- Salt, and pepper, to taste
To Make the Beets:
- Toss the beets with a little olive oil and spread them onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Salt them to taste. Allow them to par-roast in a 425°F oven for about 15-20 minutes. They will finish cooking on the pizza crust.
To Make the Crust:
- Combine the water, yeast, and sugar in a small container. Stir well and set aside for at least 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, a thick layer of foam should form across the top of the mixture.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Stir in the olive oil. Simply combine the ingredients, but allow the stand mixer do the rest of the work. In a stand mixer, using the dough hook attachment, knead the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and then a kitchen towel. Place the bowl in a cool, dry place and allow the dough to rise, about 3 hours.
- Punch down the dough and roll onto a flour-dusted surface. Roll it out to about a 15-inch diameter for a thicker crust, or larger for a thinner crust.
- Place the dough on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake it at 500°F for about 7 minutes.
To Assemble the Pizza:
- Toss the radicchio shreds with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil to taste.
- Spread the par-roasted beets evenly onto the pizza crust.
- Top with the radicchio.
- Continue baking the pizza for about 3-4 more minutes, watching so the crust browns but does not burn.
- Slice and serve immediately.
This recipe is inspired by Alicia Silverstone's recipe for Radicchio Pizza with Truffle Oil from The Kind Diet.
- Beet Recipes