Braising gives much more flavor and moisture to a dish. The beer gives them a little bitterness for a bite which pairs really well with the tamari. You can put braised mushrooms on everything: on bread with a little vegan cream cheese, over quinoa or other grains, spread over a bed of fresh greens and of course ... tacos!
Beer Braised Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 16 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoons all purpose flour (arrowroot or another thickening agents work well too)
- for braised tacos, add 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Sauté butter until it is melted. Let it boil for a few more minutes so that it starts to turn brown. Make sure it doesn't burn! Once butter has browned, add your mushrooms. Add in the tamari, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are golden brown but not completely caramelized.
- Take out your mushrooms with a slotted spoon, Leaving the sauce in the pot. Whisk in the flour so that it thickens. Add in your mushrooms and mix the sauce over the mushrooms.
- This can be served over bread as an appetizer or on a grain as a side dish.