I like to bring/make a few healthy options to the traditional Aussie barbie. These savory, vegan lentil muffins are an absolute hit! They are easy to make, gluten-free, nut-free, low in fat and full of protein, veggies and a rich barbeque flavour. Makes a great meat-free alternative!
BBQ Lentil Muffins [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup dry green or black lentils, cooked
- 1 large onion or spring onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño or Ancho chili
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup millet flour or rough corn flour
- 3 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl mix half of the lentils, millet flour, flaxseed, water, salt, corn and BBQ sauce.
- Grind the carrot, onion, garlic, chili and the other half lentils in a food processor until smooth.
- Mix the two batters together (by hand) and let it sit for 10 min so the flour can soak up the water.
- Bake in a greased muffin or loaf form for 15 min. Then coat muffins with a little more BBQ sauce and bake another 15 - 20 min until done (check with toothpick).
- Enjoy warm. They also taste great when stored in the fridge overnight and a couple of days later.