Trick your non-vegan friends into eating vegan during your next cookout! Jackfruit is the best vegan substitute for pulled pork, and is so much faster and easier to make than real pork (and no animals will be harmed either!) Since Jackfruit is a fruit and can be eaten raw, it doesn't need to be cooked that long, making this a very quick and easy vegan recipe. The key to this recipe is using good BBQ sauce since that's where most of the flavor comes from. Don't skimp on this ingredient!
BBQ Jackfruit and Coleslaw Sandwiches [Vegan]
For the Jackfruit:
- 2 cans (28 oz) of jackfruit
- 1 cup of good vegan BBQ sauce
- 4 burger buns
For the Coleslaw:
- 1 bag (11-14 oz) of coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Start by making the coleslaw since you'll want it to rest while you make the BBQ jackfruit.
- Mix the mayo, vinegar, agave, dijon, and celery seed to a large bowl. Add in the bagged coleslaw and toss until it's coated evenly. Set aside.
- Next, pull apart the jackfruit.
- Drain the cans and remove the jackfruit pieces. Don't worry about squeezing out the excess liquid.
- Pull the jackfruit apart into shreds.
- If you're using jackfruit in brine, rinse the shreds very well in a colander until that sour smell is mostly gone, about 2 minutes. Don't skip this step.
- Next, heat a large pot or frying pan over medium heat (use a pan that has a fitted lid).
- Add the jackfruit and 1 cup of water.
- Cover and simmer on low for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer until most of the water is evaporated, about another 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of BBQ sauce to the pan and mix to coat the jackfruit evenly.
- Toast your burger buns.
- Assemble the sandwiches, taking your toasted buns and topping them with the BBQ jackfruit and then coleslaw.
- Enjoy immediately.