I came up with this crunchy and refreshing Basil Cucumber Salad after feeling inspired from the warmer weather. It really hit the spot! It’s perfect for spring and summer and all things warm weather related. Not only is it cleansing and ultra healthy, it’s great for hydrating our bodies and keeping our skin youthful and glowing. With crunchy cucumber, chopped cauliflower, fresh basil and a creamy lemon dressing, this nourishing recipe is perfect for lunch, as a side or a light dinner.
Basil Cucumber Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1 English cucumber, quartered
- 1/3 head of cauliflower (about 2 cups, chopped)
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
For the Creamy Lemon Dressing:
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons plain hummus
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt, to taste
- Extra chopped basil (optional)
- In a food processor, add 1/3 of a head of cauliflower and process until crumbly and chopped small (makes about 2 cups). Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cucumber, red onion and basil. Mix until combined.
- Prepare the dressing in a small mixing bowl. Whisk all ingredients and pour over salad. Toss until combined and serve.
Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 days but is best eaten the same day as it can get watery. Optional add-ins: chickpeas, hemp hearts, avocado, or sunflower seeds for extra plant protein