This barbecue sandwich is good enough to make anyone into a fan of tofu. The homemade pickles and carmelized onions compliment the slow-marinated tofu perfectly. This is a great lunch or light dinner option for a sandwich connoisseur.
Barbecue Tofu Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Barbecue Tofu Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tofu Marinade:
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14-oz block tofu
For the Sandwich:
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 large red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 large gluten-free rolls
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 4 lettuce leaves
How to Prepare Barbecue Tofu Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade well in a shallow bowl.
- Cut the tofu into four slices approximately 1 inch thick.
- Place the tofu in the marinade and let it sit in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 450°F, remove tofu slices from the marinade and bake them for 30 minutes (after half the time, spread over the rest of the sauce).
- Cut the cucumber into a long strip (cut out the seeds) and marinate it with vinegar and salt.
- Cut the onion into thick slices.
- Place them in olive oil in a hot pan and fry them for 15 minutes at low to medium heat.
- Add the maple syrup after 10 minutes and caramelize them at low heat.
- 5 minutes before the tofu is finished, cut the rolls and put them into the oven.
- Cover the sandwich halves with mayonnaise, lettuce, tofu, cucumber pickles, and onions.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1760 | Total Carbs: 163 g | Total Fat: 77 g | Total Protein: 51 g | Total Sodium: 1374 g | Total Sugar: 43 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.