This is the deconstructed banoffee ice-cream bar version of the amazing looking pies I’ve seen, because I much prefer freezer treats that will last a long while and be on hand for emergency dessert or snacks. Yuuumm!
Banoffee Ice Cream Bars [Vegan]
- 1 large banana, sliced thinly
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup date paste (increase as desired or use sweet potato mash with caramel essence if desired)
- 3/4 cup GF oats OR graham crackers
- pinch salt
- 1.5 cups meringue mix
- 1 large banana
- Brine from 1x 400g can of chickpeas, chilled
- 1 cup castor sugar (or powdered sugar (not sweetener!) of choice) – check to see if vegan friendly or blend down vegan sugar to a fine powder
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 TBSP barley malt extract powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from 2 pods)
- In a large metal bowl with an electric hand mixer or a standing mixer with balloon whisk, whisk the brine for approximately 5 – 6 minutes until it forms a thickish white foam, almost triple the original size. It may still gloop slightly off the beaters, that’s fine.
- Add the cream of tartar and barley powder and beat until it starts to form nice peaks.
- Start preheating the oven to 90C and line baking trays with unsprayed baking paper (not wax)
- Add the castor sugar 1/4 cup at a time and beat on high until it is thick and forms stiff peaks – you should be able to shake your beater and not have anything come off; the mixture will also *feel* thick if you use handheld. Make sure that if you’re beating by hand you move the bowl around so that everything is incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla and beat back into super stiff peaks.
- If using oats, toast them lightly for a few minutes until browned in a non-stick pot .
- Blend date paste, oats/graham crackers and salt until it forms a ball. Set aside.
- Toss your banana slices and lemon juice with cinnamon and layer the bottom of each mini loaf pan with slices, not overlapping.
- Once your meringue mix is stiff blend your banana until smooth, then briefly pulse with the meringue mix until combined.
- Spoon out enough banana-meringue mix to halfway up each loaf pan, then freeze for 30 minutes. Store the rest of the meringue mix in the fridge meanwhile.
- Once the top of the banana-meringue base is hard place a strip of date-oat mix down the length and centre of each mini loaf pan, then top with the rest of the banana-meringue mix until it reaches the top of the loaf pan.
- Layer the rest of the lemon and cinnamon-tossed banana slices on top and freeze for 2 hours before serving.
- These bars are fork or hand friendly, but do get melty if left out of the freezer too long without consuming. And why would you wait, honestly?