When I turned vegan, one thing I did miss was yogurt! I do enjoy coconut yogurt, but to buy it often is expensive and to make it requires me cracking open the whole coconuts which I don’t do very often! I had some buckwheat soaking in the fridge so I thought I would try to make a simple yogurt substitute with that instead! And it worked perfectly! This is smooth, creamy, light and delicious. It will keep a couple of days in the fridge- you could add lemon to make it last a little longer. And simply add some probiotic powder if you wish to make it more like yogurt!
Banana Buckwheat Yogurt [Vegan, Raw]
- 2 frozen bananas chopped
- ½ cup of activated buckwheat (Soaked for 2-4 hours and then strained and rinsed well)
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of cardamom
- 2 drops of vanilla stevia
- 1/8 of an orange
- 1 tablespoon of pistachios (or cashews)
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until very smooth and creamy.
- This is delicious served with fresh fruit or as a topping to muesli or granola- try layering the yogurt with fruit and muesli for a beautiful parfait style breakfast!