Here's a baked macaroni and "cheese," with just the right amount of a healthy touch. I had a box of whole-wheat rotini. These are great because their corkscrew shape really holds the sauce well and have more substance than little elbows. Whole-wheat pastry flour is my usual choice but sometimes I like to lessen the gluten by using garbanzo bean flour. It has a great taste and I use it in a lot of dishes. Even the bread crumbs I use are whole-wheat so even if I wasn’t adding veggies, at least this dish is as healthy as possible.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Baked Macaroni and Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 lb. pasta or GF pasta
- 3 tbsp. Vegan butter
- 3 tbsp. chickpea flour
- 2 ½ – 3 cup soy, almond or any non-dairy milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (add to taste or omit)
- 3 cup cheddar-flavored vegan cheese
- ½ cup regular or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Canola oil spray
How to Prepare Baked Macaroni and Cheese [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt and cook the pasta until just shy of al dente; it will cook further in the oven.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a saucepan and melt the Vegan spread. Add the flour and whisk until the flour is thoroughly incorporated. Allow the flour to cook for a minute. Add the milk to the roux, slowly, whisking continuously. Add the salt, pepper, and paprika. Continue to let the sauce cook until it comes to a boil and begins to get thicker.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Add the Daiya to the saucepan and stir well until it is fully mixed in. Add the mustard and the hot sauce. You may want to add more milk depending how thick you want the sauce. Taste it to make sure the seasoning is to your liking.
- Pour the Daiya cheeze sauce into the pot with the pasta and mix thoroughly. Now at this point, you can just serve and eat the macaroni and cheeze but if you like it baked, continue on…
- Spray a baking or casserole dish with the canola spray and pour the macaroni and cheeze into it, forming an even layer.
- In a small bowl, add the bread crumbs and the olive oil and mix until it becomes a fine crumble. Top the macaroni and cheeze in the baking dish with the crumble and bake for about 30 minutes or until the cheeze is bubbling and the top is crispy.
- If you can hold yourself back, let the mac and cheeze sit for awhile so it can set better for easier cutting and serving. If you can’t, have at it and enjoy.
This recipe can be made gluten-free by using a gluten-free pasta such as rice pasta, a gluten-free flour such as garbanzo bean flour, and crushed up corn flakes or gluten-free cereal for the topping. This recipe can be made soy-free by using any non-dairy milk besides soymilk.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Cheesy Recipes
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 3,298 | Total Carbs: 525 g | Total Fat: 96 g | Total Protein: 112 g | Total Sodium: 1,125 mg | Total Sugar: 9 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.