This dish qualifies as the perfect sweet potato casserole: filled with tender sweet potatoes tossed with fresh ripe cranberries, covered with a cinnamon and brown sugar oat crumble, and baked until the cranberries soften and burst, releasing their ruby-colored juice, which bubbles under the crisp, crunchy warmly-spiced topping.
Baked Sweet Potatoes and Cranberries With Cinnamon Oat Crumble [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Baked Sweet Potatoes and Cranberries With Cinnamon Oat Crumble [Vegan]
- 58 ounces (2 large cans) canned sweet potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 10 tablespoons vegan butter, cut into pieces
- 2 heaping cups fresh cranberries
How to Prepare Baked Sweet Potatoes and Cranberries With Cinnamon Oat Crumble [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Drain the canned sweet potatoes, reserving some of the liquid in a measuring cup. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon, and stir until evenly blended. Add the butter, and use a pastry knife to cut the butter into the oat mixture until the largest pieces of butter are the size of large peas.
- In a large bowl, combine the drained sweet potatoes and the cranberries and toss. Add two cups of the oat mixture, and stir well. The mixture should coat the sweet potatoes as you toss it. If it seems dry, you can add some of the reserved canned liquid, a tablespoon at a time. The mixture should be moist, but there shouldn’t be any liquid collecting at the bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish, and spread it evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, until the top is browned and the sides are bubbly.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!
If using fresh sweet potatoes, use about 2 1/3 pounds of potatoes. Peel and cut into 1-inch dice, and bake on a baking sheet at 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes, until tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool, then proceed with the recipe as directed. When tossing the mixture, if it seems dry, simply add water instead of the canning liquid as directed.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.