Baked sweet potato and apple was a holiday tradition and this recipe brings it straight to your kitchen! This dish is sweet and savory, with warming winter spices.
Baked Sweet Potato and Apple [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 small to medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 apples, cored and sliced thinly
- Juice of 2 oranges (you need about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons ginger juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a medium baking dish. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add the sweet potato slices. Bring back to a boil, cook for 3 minutes, drain, then cool.
- Form a layer of sweet potatoes and apples in the pan as if making a lasagne.
- Mix the coconut oil with the juices and the cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the juices, rosemary, and a dash of sugar on each layer. Continue to form layers until all the ingredients are used, reserving some liquid to drizzle over the top layer.
- Cover the dish and bake for 30–40 minutes, until soft and starting to brown.3. Serve warm with other savory dishes in this chapter.