Ditch the starchy fries for this healthy version by swapping white potatoes for carrots and the fryer for an oven. The result? Some deliciously crispy roasted fries. Add some zesty za'atar herbs and a flavorful dip and you've really got yourself a uniquely healthy side dish.
Baked Shoestring Carrot Fries [Vegan]
For the Fries:
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and sliced into sticks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or mild-flavored oil of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon za'atar spice blend, divided
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup parsley, gently packed
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with a lightly greased piece of tinfoil or a nonstick pad and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the carrots and oil, then add 1/4 teaspoon of the za'atar and toss to coat.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until crispy, then sprinkle with the remaining za'atar and some chopped parsley, if you desire.
- While the carrot fries are baking, make the dipping sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add an additional tablespoon of water, if necessary, to thin out the sauce.
- Serve the carrots while still hot and crispy, alongside the dipping sauce.