The only thing better than a delicious bowl of creamy mac and cheese is an appetizer that allows you to share this comforting pasta with friends! These baked mac and cheese bites are made by stuffing a tiny muffin pan with decadent mac and cheese, sprinkling a little (or a lot) of cayenne pepper on top, and then popping the tray in the oven so that the pasta can bind together. In just 20 minutes, you'll have a cute, whimsical appetizer that friends and family will love!
Baked Mac and Cheese Bites [Vegan]
- 3 cups medium-sized macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 cups almond milk
- 2 teaspoons liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil over low heat. Once the water has reached a boil, add in the macaroni and allow it to cook for about 5-7 minutes and then strain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, begin preparing your cheese sauce. In a separate saucepan, whisk together flour and oil over high heat. The flour may not combine all the way but this is okay, it will dissolve in the milk later.
- Whisk in almond milk, nutritional yeast, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid aminos until combined.
- Continue to whisk the cheese sauce as it reaches a boil and starts to thicken. Allow the sauce to thicken and then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together cooked pasta and 3/4 of the cheese sauce. Taste test now and add more salt or spices if you choose.
- Spoon the mac and cheese into the muffin pan. Be sure to stuff each dish a little higher than the top of the pan.
- Once all the mac and cheese is in the muffin pan, drizzle the remaining cheese sauce into each pile.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. After removing from the oven, let it cool for about 5 minutes so the bottom portion of the mac and cheese can cool down and bind to the top.
- Cheesy Recipes