These chocolate donuts are healthier treat thanks to baking! The cardamom, cinnamon, and black pepper add a subtle dark spice that is cozy and pairs perfectly with the chocolate ganache. They are also free of refined sugar, and instead uses maple syrup!
Baked Chocolate Donuts With Ganache Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free]
For the Donuts:
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 cup sprouted buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
For the Ganache Frosting:
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate (70-80% cocoa), finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons full-fat coconut milk
For the Donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the donut pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flours, coconut sugar, psyllium, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the liquid ingredients: yogurt, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil and water.
- Use a spatula to fold the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until completely smooth. Spoon the batter into each donut ring, about 3/4 full. Smooth the batter using a spatula or your finger.
- Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes, rotate the pan, and then bake for another 5 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the centre should come out dry and the donuts should be springy to touch. Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes, and then flip out onto a flat surface to cool.
- Use a knife or off-set spatula to frost each donut, then serve. Donuts taste the best when they are fresh, so plan to serve them the day you make them.
For the Ganache:
- Place a bowl over a small pot filled with a few inches of water. Put the chopped chocolate and the coconut milk in the bowl. Set the heat to medium-low and allow the chocolate to melt as the milk heats up.
- Gently whisk until completely smooth and glossy, then set aside for a couple minutes.
These donuts also freeze well for a couple weeks. Allow to defrost at room temperature and serve.