Baked Berry Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) warm water
- 2 tablespoons (17 g) chia seeds
- 2 1/2 cups (230 g) rolled oats
- 4 cups (600 g) mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.), cut into bite-sized pieces if necessary, divided
- 2/3 cup (66 g) raw walnut halves or sunflower seeds, divided
- 1 cup (235 ml) plain unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC, or gas mark 4).
- Mix the water and the chia seeds in a large liquid measuring cup and set aside.
- Place the oats, half of the berries, and half of the walnuts in a 9-inch (23 cm) round baking dish.
- Add the nondairy milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt to the chia mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and gently stir to incorporate.
- Bake the oatmeal for 45 minutes, until slightly golden in color.
- The oatmeal should be a little soft, as it will firm slightly while cooling. Let the oatmeal cool on a rack for 20 minutes. Cut it into fifths, place in 5 storage containers, and top each serving with the remaining berries and walnuts.
- Oatmeal can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
In a pinch, frozen berries work well here. They may get a little soggy in the topping, but they’ll still taste good.