These rich and creamy avocados are smothered in our cashew queso, topped with plant-based sausage and finished with Salsa Pico which adds a freshness to these decadent snacks. This is perfect party food!
Baked and Stuffed Avocados With Cashew Queso and Sausage [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Salsa Pico:
- 2 medium tomatoes, small dice
- 1 small red onion, small dice
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, rinsed and small diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
For the Queso:
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least an hour, drained
- 1/4 cup garlic cloves (about 8-10 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 sliced jalapeño (red or green)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup canned or fresh and cooked hatch chili
For the Avocados:
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 vegan Mexican chipotle-style sausages
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cups vegan queso
- 1 cup salsa pico
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, for garnish
- A pinch of salt
To Make the Salsa Pico:
- Add all of the ingredients and stir gently to combine in a medium-sized bowl. Set this aside.
To Make the Queso:
- In a small saucepan, add butternut squash, cashews, garlic, and 1 tablespoon salt.
- Bring this to a slow boil on medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove this from the heat to cool, drain and add the mixture to a high-speed blender.
- Add in remaining ingredients (except hatch chili) and blend for 3-4 minutes until wicked smooth, then add hatch chili and pulse for 5 seconds to incorporate and still leave it chunky.
To Make the Avocados:
- Slice and half the avocados to make 6 portions.
- Remove the pits and place the avocados onto a baking sheet. Set this aside.
- Remove the casing and crumble sausage by hand into a bowl.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat, then add the red onion and sear for about a minute.
- Add in the crumbled sausage and sauté it for 3 minutes more. The more charring you get the more flavor it will have; however, be careful not to burn it! Remove this from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Make sure the avocados will stand up on own by gently pressing them down they won’t tip over.
- Add roughly 1 tablespoon of cashew queso, then top that with 1 tablespoon of sausage-onion mixture in the center of each avocado.
- Bake them for 10 -15 minutes, then remove from oven and top with the salsa pico. Garnish with the cilantro and jalapeños as desired, sprinkle them with a touch of salt, and serve them immediately.