Cruelty free bacon and tofu eggs go together like peanut butter and jelly in this burger that knocks the socks off any fast food breakfast sammy. When you’re on the go, eat this on a whole wheat bun, an English muffin, with a slice of vegan cheese or a little vegan garlic mayo. At home you can add a side of hash browns or home fries. Garnish with your favorite breakfast toppings (think omelet here: diced and grilled peppers and onions, salsa, ketchup, avocado, or spinach).
Bacon and Egg Burger [Vegan]
- 12 ounces (340 g) extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) onion powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup (25 g) imitation bacon bits
- 1/2 to 1 cup (62 to 125 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil, for frying
- Crumble the tofu into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard, salt, and bacon bits, and stir to combine.
- Knead in the flour a little at a time. Depending on how much moisture was left in your tofu, you may need a little or a lot.
- Knead the heck out of this until you get a nice ball of dough, at least 5 minutes.
- Let sit for at least 15 minutes to rest. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and form into patties.
- Panfry in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until nice and golden brown.
Skip the bun and wrap this baby up in a giant leaf of collard greens or Swiss chard.