Making dosas healthier or tastier is a bit like trying to gild a lily. Dosas are traditionally made with rice and lentils which are both terrifically healthy foods packed with fiber and protein, and you can just make a traditional dosa recipe healthier by making it with brown rice, as I usually do.
Baby Lima Beans and Oats Dosa [Vegan]
- 1 cup baby lima beans (cover with about 3 inches with water and soak at least overnight)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1/2-inch piece of ginger, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Put all the ingredients in a blender or a dosa grinder and blend with enough water till you have a runny and smooth batter. The batter should be runnier than a pancake batter, but thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Heat a cast-iron or non-stick griddle.
- Using a rounded ladle, pour about 1/4 cup of the dosa batter in the center of the griddle. Quickly, using the rounded bottom of the ladle, start spreading the batter outward from the center in a spiralling design, until you have a dosa about 6-7 inches in diameter.
- You can pour a few drops of oil around the dosa's edge to make it crispier, or just spray with some non-stick cooking spray.
- When the underside is golden-brown, flip over and cook another minute or two.
- Serve hot with chutney.