If you’re looking for an effortless dish that looks like a million dollar plate, you need to try this pasta dish. The pesto is rich, creamy, and refreshing from the avocado and basil and it's topped with smoky Shiitake bacon. Nuts are optional, meaning this is a pesto that can be enjoyed by those with allergies!
Avocado Pesto Pasta With Shiitake Bacon [Vegan]
- 1 package of fettuccine pasta
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
For the Pesto:
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup minced kale
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup nuts of any kind (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5-6 basil leaves
- 1/2 squeeze of lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Shiitake Bacon:
- 1 package of Shiitake
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional
- Cracked black pepper and sea salt as desired
- Basil and vegan Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Make the Shiitake in advance. Soak them in all of the ingredients for a few hours or overnight for the best flavor. Once ready, bake in the oven at 200°F for 30 minutes, rotate Shiitake mid-way. They should be soft and not crunchy. Remove from heat set aside.
- Boil the pasta. Now make the sauce. Throw everything in a food processor. The garlic, basil, spinach and kale, nuts (optional), spices, olive oil, and lemon juice, then add the avocado. Pulse until smooth and add additional lemon juice or olive oil to achieve the desired consistency.
- Let the pasta cool a little bit, then toss in the pesto and top with the Shiitake bacon.
- Top with additional fresh basil and vegan Parmesan cheese