If you're a fan of avocado toast (who isn't, really?) you will likely adore this recipe! In it, avocado, peas, spring onion, parsley, and garlic are combined and drenched in lemon. The tangy and refreshing spread is perfect for topping toasted bread or crackers, either as a simple afternoon snack or a bright appetizer.
Avocado and Pea Smash [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen and defrosted, or fresh
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lemon or 1 lime
- 1/4 cup spring onion, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley or coriander, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 slices of wholegrain toast or crackers
- Furikake Japanese seasoning or sesame seeds and chili flakes
- Pour the frozen peas in a bowl and cover with hot water to defrost quickly, or leave out on the bench for half an hour to defrost. Drain off any water.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and salt, and mash the peas with a fork until most are crushed fairly well. Add cubed avocado and mash together until blended but with some chunks still remaining. Add herbs and mix through.
- Serve on toasted whole grain bread or your favorite whole grain crackers.