This one-bowl-only Avocado and Pea Smash smash is so simple, and it requires only essential ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge. The combination of green peas and avocado creates quite the nutritional powerhouse; you are nourishing yourself with healthy fats, the right amount of protein, fiber, and plenty of vitamin C. Also, avocado is one of the best sources of potassium— an important mineral for athletes as it helps maintain electrolyte balance, prevents cramping, and reduces blood pressure. Enjoy this smash on toast, with fresh-cut veggies, or on the side of a large green salad.
Avocado and Pea Smash [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 medium avocado peeled and pitted (see note)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs such as basil, mint or cilantro, chopped
- 2 slices sprouted-grain bread a wrap or flax crackers (optional)
- Fresh-cut veggies optional
- Sprouts for garnish (optional)
- If using frozen peas, place in a glass cup or bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scoop the avocado into a medium bowl.
- Add the lime juice and salt, then mash together with a fork until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- Drain the defrosted peas and add them (or the fresh peas) to the avocado bowl together with your herbs of choice. Mix well.
- Serve on a slice of sprouted-grain bread, in a wrap, on flax crackers, or in a bowl with fresh-cut veggies.
- Garnish with sprouts (if using).