Fennel takes on such an amazing flavor when it’s roasted as the licorice flavors mellow and caramelize. For these crostini, pair it with spicy radishes and earthy asparagus to create a tangle of roasted veggie goodness. For some different textures, throw some almonds in the mix for a bit of crunch. To create a bit of contrast and be mindful about reducing waste, make a fresh gremolata out of fennel fronds, lemon zest, and garlic to top the crostini. If you don’t have any bread, you can serve this over some greens or your favorite cooked grain and it will still be delicious.
Asparagus Almond Crostini With Fennel Frond Gremolata [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Asparagus Almond Crostini With Fennel Frond Gremolata [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Roasted Vegetables:
- 1 small bulb of fennel (reserve fronds for gremolata)
- 3-4 radishes
- 6 or 7 spears of asparagus
- Small handful of sliced almonds
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 of a small lemon
For the Gremolata:
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
For the Crostini and Assembly:
- 6-10 slices of your favorite gluten-free bread (amount of slices depends on the size of the bread)
- Olive oil
- Smoked sea salt or other flaky sea salt
How to Prepare Asparagus Almond Crostini With Fennel Frond Gremolata [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Roasted Veggies and Almonds:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Clean the veggies well and trim off any ends or cores if necessary. Slice everything into similar-sized pieces and put it on a baking sheet. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the veggies, season with a bit of salt and pepper, and then toss to coat.
- Roast the veggies for a total of 15 minutes until the edges just start to caramelize. During the last 5 minutes of roasting time, toss in the almonds. Once you remove the baking sheet from the oven, squeeze the lemon juice over the veggies and toss to combine. Set aside the veggies until you are ready to assemble the crostini.
To Make the Gremolata:
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a small bowl, making sure to mix well. Set aside until ready to use.
To Make the Crostini and Assemble:
- Depending on the size of your bread, you may wish to cut it in half to make smaller crostini. Lightly drizzle the slices of bread with a bit of olive oil, then toast them to your liking.
- Top each piece of bread with a heaped spoonful of the veggie mixture and then sprinkle the gremolata over the top. Finish with a pinch of smoked sea salt if you wish.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.