Natural flavors and fragrance from fruits and spices make every bite of this pie an amazing experience.
Apple Raspberry Ginger Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Apple Raspberry Ginger Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup millet flour
- 2/3 cup white rice flour
- 2/3 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup, plus 1/4 teaspoon potato starch
- 1/4 cup, plus 1/4 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup, plus 1/4 tapioca starch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 4-8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cup raw rice, dried beans, or pie weights
- 4 medium apples, sliced thin (Honeycrisp or Jonagold are recommended)
- 1 1/4 cups raspberry (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia extract powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/3 tablespoon agave nectar
How to Prepare Apple Raspberry Ginger Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Pie Crust:
- Place olive oil in a small plastic container and freeze for at least one hour before preparing the pie crust. The frozen olive oil should be opaque and congealed. If it is too hard, let it thaw a little bit before adding to the flour.
- While the olive oil is freezing, whisk together the flours and salt in a large mixing bowl. Chill this in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Gradually mix the olive oil into the flour (approximately one tablespoon at a time). Use a potato masher to mash the frozen olive oil into the flour until the olive oil resembles flakes of oatmeal.
- In a cup, mix 4 tablespoons ice water with the vinegar. Slowly add 2 tbs of this mixture at a time into the dough until the mixture is finished. Add more ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms a ball. Divide the dough into two equal amounts and place each piece in a storage zip bag. Use a rolling pin to shape each into a disk (6 inches in diameter). Place in freezer for 10 minutes or refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove one dough from the freezer or refrigerator and roll it out into an 11-inch circle between plastic wraps. Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie dish and press well into the pan. Place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper over the crust and fill the crust with raw rice to hold it down in the pan. Press the rice down and out to sides. Remove the rice from the pie crust. Return the crust to the freezer or refrigerator.
- Repeat rolling with the second dough. Use mini cookie cutter to cut a few pieces out from the center. Place the cut-out shapes on a piece of parchment paper or wax paper. Refrigerate the second pie crust and the cut-out shapes before use.
To Make the Filling and Assemble the Pie:
- Mix all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix all topping ingredients in a cup.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange apple slices and raspberries neatly in the prepared pie dish. Brush the edge of the pie crust with the topping liquid. Place the second crust on top. Pinch the edge together and trim excess dough. Arrange the cut-out shapes along the edge and center.
- Brush the top with topping liquid.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F and continue baking for 35 minutes or until the filling bubbles up through the cuts and edges. Place the pie on a cooling rack and let it cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.