This sweet version of the halftime classic gives your little ones all the fun of nachos with a nutty protein boost. These can be served as a stylish snack to share. Excerpted from THE ADVENTUROUS EATERS CLUB by Misha and Vicki Collins, reprinted with permission from HarperOne and imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Copyright 2019.
Apple Nachos [Vegan]
- 2 to 3 apples
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (the old-fashioned sugar-free kind you have to stir)
- Small handful of raisins
- Small handful of raw pumpkin seeds
- Small handful of flaked unsweetened coconut
- Small handful of pretzels, crushed
- Lay each apple on its side and slice it into rounds right through the core. You should have about 8 slices per apple. Make your slices thin like chips but thick enough to hold the toppings. Squeeze the lemon over the slices so they don’t brown. Pluck out the seeds, revealingthe pretty star/flower-shaped center of each apple slice.
- Kid’s job: Stir 1 tablespoon of water into your peanut butter until it’s thin enough to drizzle. Pile your apple “chips” on a plate. Drizzle the peanut butter over the top. Sprinkle on raisins, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, and crushed pretzels.
Recipe Photo Credit: Michèle M. Waite