A dollop of jelly on a warm toast slathered with vegan butter is just divine. You can enjoy this Apple jelly with homemade wholegrain bread and homemade Peanut Butter!
Apple Jelly [Vegan]
- 7-8 medium-size apples
- Lemon juice
- Wash and wipe the apples dry.
- Cut into small pieces including core and seeds.
- Transfer to a pressure cooker. Add water just enough to cover the fruit.
- Cook for one whistle, or turn off the heat when the whistle is about to come.
- Open the lid and let it cool.
- Double line a mesh colander or a soup strainer with a muslin cloth. Set it over a deep bowl to collect the juice.
- Ladle the apples and the juice into the lined colander or strainer. Keep it on the counter undisturbed for about three to four hours. Do not press down on apples with a ladle or squeeze to get more liquid. This will cloud the jelly.
- Measure the liquid. For every one cup of liquid, add 3/4 cup of sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice (strained).
- Pour it into a thick bottom steel wok or wide-mouthed deep pan and bring to a boil. During cooking, skim off the scum that collects on the surface.
- Keep the plate in the freezer.
- Cook on medium heat stirring in between till jelly begins to thicken and coats the ladle thickly. To test if it is done, dab some jelly into the chilled plate. Keep it back in the freezer for a few minutes. Nudge it with your finger, If it wrinkles and collects, it is done. Else, continue to cook and re-test at intervals.
- When the jelly sets, remove from the heat and ladle in the clean jars.