These sticky buns look, taste, and feel just like any other batch of cinnamon buns, except healthier! These are egg-free, dairy-free, sweetened with coconut sugar, and made with whole wheat pastry flour. Oh yeah, and can't forget the apple! These deliciously decadent buns also contain sweet juicy apple shreds tossed in cinnamon and brown sugar. It’s like eating a cinnamon apple pie. Yum!
Apple Cinnamon Sticky Buns [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, or regular sugar
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup pecans
For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced or shredded
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, optional
- Pour almond milk into a large measuring cup, add vegan butter, and heat in microwave for about 45 seconds or until everything is warm and melted. The mixture should be warm, not hot, if too hot it will kill the yeast.
- Sprinkle on yeast, set aside, and allow to proof at least 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and sugar. Create a well in the middle of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture.
- Mix flour and milk together, when the dough comes together, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkling on flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking to the surface or your fingers, you should have a soft springy ball.
- Place ball into a greased bowl, cover with towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise for one hour in a warm place.
- While the dough is rising, mix together 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of vegan butter. Spread the mixture on the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch pan, set aside.
- Peel apples and slice them into thin strips or shred them in a food processor. Mix together in a medium bowl with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, then cover and set aside.
- When the dough is ready, roll it out on a lightly floured parchment paper into a large rectangle (about 1/4-inch thick).
- Spread on 2 tablespoons vegan butter, top with brown sugar and apples and pecans.
- Carefully roll from the longest end using parchment paper to help keep the roll tight.
- With seam side down, carefully cut into 2-inch slices and place in pan. Melt remaining vegan butter and brush on rolls.
- Cover and allow to rise again for about 1 hour, during the last 15 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, invert, and serve.