Apple and cinnamon pair perfectly with sweet maple vanilla icing. Have these doughy cinnamon rolls fresh out of the oven for breakfast on a chilly morning with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Apple Cinnamon Rolls With Maple Vanilla Icing [Vegan]
- 3 1/2 cups spelt flour, reserve 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- A dash of salt
- 1 scant cup of vanilla non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups apples, small diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, for brushing
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 16-ounce package silken tofu
- 1 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and spray a 9 1/2-inch pie pan with a non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the non-dairy milk and vinegar, and set aside for a few minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift the 3 1/4 cups spelt flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Once the non-dairy milk has set for a few minutes, add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix lightly to combine. Be sure not to over mix. The dough should look a bit shaggy.
- Lightly dust a flat surface with flour and dump dough out. Roughly knead together for 2-3 minutes, until the dough starts to come together. If it’s too sticky, slowly add in the reserved spelt flour as needed. The dough should not stick to your hands while kneading. Once the dough can be formed into a round ball, place in a bowl that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray and set aside for a few minutes.
- While the dough is resting, combine the apple pieces, lemon juice, and spices. Mix well.
- Place a large piece of parchment down on a flat work space and lightly sprinkle with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a large rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Brush the dough with coconut oil and sprinkle it with coconut sugar. Top with the diced apple mixture. Roll up the dough lengthwise, so that it forms one long roll. Then, using a serrated knife, gently cut the cinnamon rolls into pieces.
- Place pieces into pie pan and bake for roughly 15 minutes.
- Once buns are done, top with icing and serve warm.
- Combine all ingredients into food processor and blend until desired consistency.
Best eaten on the same day.