Think you can't make a good pumpkin pie without using eggs? Think again. Thanks to a little bit of cornstarch, the filling of this pumpkin pie is just as velvety and delicious as the non-vegan version. Topped with vanilla coconut cream, this pie is everything you want in a Fall dessert.
Pumpkin Cream Pie [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
For the Filling:
- 1 26-ounce can of pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
For the Cream Topping:
- 2 14-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, add milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Add shortening. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut in the shortening.
- Continue until shortening pieces are pea-sized. Pour in milk and knead lightly until just starting to combine. You don’t want to overwork the dough. You want to still see bits of shortening within the dough. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator for at least a few hours to chill.
- To make the filling, whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out crust on a floured surface. Transfer to 8-inch pie plate. Push dough gently into the plate, making sure there aren’t any air pockets. Trim extra dough around edges, pinch or design as desired.
- Pour filling into the pie plate. Smooth with spatula or spoon.
- Place in oven and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- To make the cream, chill a large bowl in the freezer for ten minutes. Take out and scoop the fat of the coconut milk into the bowl, leaving behind the liquid. Add powdered sugar and vanilla to the bowl and whisk with an electric beater until the cream has become fluffy and is completely smooth.
- Chill pie completely before putting cream on top! Sprinkle with cinnamon. Slice and serve.
Keep in refrigerator for up to three days.