A great meatless meal for fall! This hearty Apple Chickpea Coconut Curry is loaded with flavor and is super satisfying. It may seem weird to put apples in curry, but trust us you won’t regret it! They give an extra natural sweetness that really strengthens and compliments the curry flavor. And, bonus, it’s vegan!
Apple Chickpea and Coconut Curry [Vegan]
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup white onions, chopped small
- 2 small green apples, skin on, chopped small
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- bunch of cilantro (optional)
- In a medium sized skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions, sauté 2 minutes.
- Add chopped apples, sauté 2 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic and sea salt, sauté 4 minutes.
- Add red pepper, sauté 2 more minutes. Remove skillet from stove top and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the chickpeas, stir. Pour in the can of coconut cream, stir.
- In a small bowl whisk together the curry powder, turmeric, cumin and sea salt. Add spices to pot, stir. Bring pot to a boil.
- Once it boils, add the skillet of vegetables and apples to the pot, stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer, 8-10 minutes.
- Serve over rice or grains. Garnish with cilantro if desired.