These sweet potato patties are fluffy on the outside, but crisp on the inside with a blend of Indian spices giving the flavor a savory kick. Best part is, they're really easy to make. They're a fantastic addition to the dinner table when served alongside curry and chutney.
Aloo Tikki: Indian Potato Patties [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 green chili, long, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a pressure cooker or a saucepan, boil whole potatoes until they are soft and easily pierced with a fork. Remove the skin and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Combine the remaining ingredients except oil into the mashed potato. Measure approximately 1/4 cup of potato batter and form into round discs.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat until it is hot. Add approximately 1 tablespoon of oil to coat. Add 4 potato patties into the skillet. Cook each side until it turns brown; approximately 5 minutes on each side. Reduce the heat if it is browning too quickly.
- Repeat the previous step until all potato batter has been used. Add extra oil, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary. Serve hot.
- Potato Recipes