These Multigrain Almond Pancakes are made with three different kinds of flours – barley, spelt, and whole-wheat– but you could easily substitute with other flours like oat flour or even a gluten-free baking mix. But here’s what makes them really special: I add to them some almond paste, almond milk, and a few chopped almonds - ingredients that make them tender, nutty, extra-flavorful, and healthy, of course.
Almond Pancakes [Vegan]
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup barley flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1/2 cups almond or other non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup almonds, crushed or chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Add the well-mixed wet ingredients to the dry. Mix the batter until everything is just moistened. The batter should still be lumpy.
- Heat a griddle until water sprinkled on the surface evaporates right away.
- Spray with some vegetable oil. Use a 1/4-cup measure to pour out each pancake.
- Cook until the sides start to dry and bubbles appear on top. Flip over and cook for a minute.
- Stack and serve while piping hot with or without some vegan butter and syrup.